The 2016 award winner is Patricia Rossi. Congratulations.
The winner of the Lard award will receive:
- $300 (US)
- Your poem featured in the prize winner issue
- 1 Copy of the issue in print
- You will be featured on the back cover
- You will be featured on the Poetry Quarterly website
Honorable mentions receive:
- Publication in the prize winner issue
- Free entry to the next contest
All entrants receive:
- All entrants receive a 1 year electronic subscription to the PQ archives.
- All poems submitted are considered for standard publication.
Rebecca Lard (1772-1855) was the first poet in Indiana. In her day, Lard was well known for submitting to publications. A copy of her little volume of verse (there are only five numbered pages) is preserved in the collection of the Historical & Philosophical Society of Ohio, Cincinnati, and an undated clipping from an early issue of the Cincinnati Gazette pasted on the inner wrapper states that it is the work of Mrs. Lard, “a lady of Indiana.” Also authored The Banks of the Ohio which was published in 1823.